10 Tips to Start Recovering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
At the start of your journey to recovery from chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) you may be bed-bound. You may have little energy to stand up, let alone do simple things such as walking to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I have been through this experience myself and I know how traumatic it is to have to rely on your parents to do everything for you. However you can still do simple things that can help you to see quick improvements in your health. Here are my 10 tips to start recovering from chronic fatigue syndrome:
- Drink 2 litres of filtered water everyday – people with CFS often have toxic overload. When you drink water it helps to flush out the toxins and keep your body hydrated. You can keep a 500ml glass beside your bed and drink 4 of them daily. If you are bed-bound ask a family member to refill your glass with water.
- Turn off the Wi-Fi at night – if you sit or sleep near the Wi-Fi, the harmful microwave radiation that it emits interferes with your brain waves and can affect your ability to fall into a deep sleep. You can switch off the Wi-Fi at night to get a better sleep.
- Take a fish oil daily – people with CFS often have a high level of toxicity in their bodies including heavy metals and chemicals causing a lot of inflammation. My advice is to take a fish oil daily which is the best source of omega 3. Getting enough omega-3 helps to reduce inflammation in the body and ease any aches and pains.
- Eat 2-3 portions of protein daily – often people with CFS have multiple chronic viral and bacterial infections that there body has been trying to fight off for sometime. This can lead to a weakened immune system. Eating 2 to 3 portions of protein daily helps to build immune cells (white blood cells) to fight off infections. Good sources of protein include meat, fish, eggs, lentils, nuts and seeds. If you have severe fatigue and are unable to cook, ask a family member to cook your meals.
- Visualise yourself full of energy – when you do visualisation it is very powerful as what you think you attract. If you are bed-bound this is an easy exercise that you can do. Imagine yourself full of energy, walking around and talking to friends. If you can see yourself as already recovered and in good health, you will start to attract that reality into your life.
- Buy an earthing mattress topper – you are earthed or grounded when you walk on the earth outside barefoot. When you connect to the earth it drains all the negative ions from your body which cause stress on your body. You feel more relaxed, calm and with greater wellbeing. When you plug in an earthing mattress topper it earths you through the mains. This reduces the stress on your body and protects your from harmful electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) emitted from electrical items . You will find you sleep better and wake up feeling more rested.
- Remove all electrical items from your bedroom – when you are near electrical items they emit electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) that put stress on your body and can disrupt your sleep. Therefore it is advisable to remove the TV, computer and your mobile phone from your bedroom. Alternatively you can switch them all off an hour before going to bed to give yourself time to wind down and relax. If you use your phone as an alarm clock replace it for a battery powered alarm clock. You will have the benefit of not getting woken up in the night from text messages or phone calls.
- Deep breathing meditation – when you do deep breathing it helps to get oxygen around the body to circulate nutrients to cells. It also helps to calm down the nervous system. You can do this very simple exercise while laying down in bed. Firstly breath in for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds, then slowly exhale for 8 seconds. Repeat this several times. It also helps to quieten the mind.
- Sit outside in the sunshine – we need vitamin D from sunlight to boost the immune system to fight off infections. When you sit outside on a sunny day with bare face, arms and legs for 20 minutes gives you the recommended amount of vitamin D.
- Play relaxing music – often people with CFS are in fight or flight mode. They may be stressed and their bodies produce a lot of adrenaline leading to adrenal fatigue. However if you play gentle and relaxing spa or meditation music, it helps to put the nervous system into rest and digest mode and calms the whole body down. Your body can then start to repair itself. I find that it is very relaxing and enjoyable to listen to.
Copyright: wavebreakmediamicro / 123RF Stock Photo